Sunday 15 February 2015

When we move from where we are known to where we aren't ...yet.

I've been wondering as I write my blog post each night for #28daysofwriting if I'm going to write something that may offend or upset anyone. Most of what I've written has been about my new role and my move from living and working in a city to living and working in a regional area. The other day I had a particularly trying class and I was tempted to write about it in detail. However, I held back and tried to drill down on what was the learning I could take out of that and make that the centre of my writing. But I wonder if someone at my new school read it would they think I was talking out of turn. At the start my instinct told me to take care, no specifics about people and definitely no slander. I'm evolving with this process as the 28 days slide by.

As I grappled with that post I wondered what would my new colleagues, students and parents think if they read it? I hope I wouldn't offend anyone and I worry that I haven't written anything that has misled the readers about my new home and work. I'm happy to challenge thinking though. So it's a bit of a balance that seems to take some experience. I'm new to blogging so I'm wondering if the more experienced blogger considers this? How do they deal with it? Are there any set rules that bloggers live by, especially when we are writing about our experiences?  I'm just using my common sense but I have had moments over this weekend wondering.

I've come from a school where social media is the norm and where my buddies and I are connected through twitter. My colleagues know my work, they know me and my reputation affords me a luxury I don't have yet now that I've moved. I am yet to build that reputation here, to connect with people and to learn what they stand for and believe in when it comes to educating their students. If someone read a post that they felt was too personal about their school or their students or who took offence at something I've written then I don't have that reputation to fall back on yet. In fact, if my new colleagues were reading my blog, as are a number of people I haven't met yet, then my reputation is partially being built by what I write. That's quite a responsibility. I'll continue but I must say, at the half way mark I feel a little more cautious than when I started.

2 comments:

  1. Starting in a new place is always a challenge - you're no-one again and have to build your reputation all over again. But if the past is any guide (and it usually is!) in a year from now you will have established a great reputation in your new school!

    ReplyDelete